Your guide to tax season FAQs, helpful links for federal and state filings

Tax season is upon us and you probably have questions about filing taxes this year. We have what you need.

Help Me Hank is hosting an event to offer free help with your taxes: Tax Help 4 You on Monday, February 28. We will have a phone bank with experts available to take your call from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.

  • Call: 248-267-3716 — the Michigan CPA Association will be on hand to answer your questions! The telephone bank is open from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.

We also asked about questions you had about ClickOnDetroit last week. Here are some of the most common tax questions we’ve received and answers from the IRS.

Tax Season 2022: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers from the IRS

How can I tell the IRS that my address has changed?

If you filed a joint return and you still reside with the same spouse, you and your spouse must provide your names, social security numbers, new address, and signatures on the form or return.

If you filed a joint return and now have separate addresses, each of you must tell us about your new, separate addresses.

There are several ways to tell us that your address has changed:

Tell them in person or over the phone. Please prepare your:

A d

  • full name

  • new address

  • old address

  • Date of Birth

  • Social Security Number, ITIN or EIN

The IRS may request additional information to verify your identity.

IRS Forms: Use Form 8822, Change of Address or Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business

Tax return: use your new address when filing

Is there an age limit for declaring my child as a dependant?

To claim your child as your dependant, your child must meet either the child eligibility criteria or the relative eligibility criteria:

  • Meet the qualifying child testyour child must be younger than you and under the age of 19 or be a “student” under the age of 24 at the end of the calendar year.

  • There is no age limit if your child is “permanently and totally disabled” or meets the relative qualification test.

In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying parent test, you can claim this person as a dependent only if these three criteria are met:

  • Dependent taxpayer test

  • Citizen or resident test, and

  • Joint return test

Can I get a transcript or copy of Form W-2, wage and tax returns from the IRS?

Yes, but an actual copy of your Form W-2 is only available if you submitted it with a paper tax return:


  • You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Income Tax Return. Check the Form W-2 box, specify the tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. Allow 10 business days from the date of receipt from the IRS to receive the transcript.To note: Wage and income transcripts are available for up to 10 years, but current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript does not include any state or local tax information reported by your employer to the SSA on Form W-2.


  • If you filed your tax return electronically or did not attach your Form W-2 to your paper return, use one of the transcription options above. Otherwise, you will need to contact your employer or the SSA to obtain a copy.
  • The fastest way to get a copy of your current year’s W-2 form is through your employer. Your employer first submits Form W-2 to the SSA; after SSA processes it, they forward the federal tax information to the IRS.

How do I get my original AGI if I can’t find my return from the previous year?

If you can’t find your previous year’s tax return, see our IRS FAQ – Get a copy of the tax return.

A d

What documents do I need if I have a mortgage?

Your mortgage company should send you Form 1098 which shows the mortgage interest you paid.

What documents do I need if I am self-employed?

You will need to file a Schedule C using IRS Form 1040. Depending on your type of business and where you do business, you may need other forms. You may also be required to make estimated quarterly payments by filing Form 1040-ES, Estimated tax for individuals.

Can my spouse and I file our tax return together if we are legally separated and not divorced?

If your divorce is not final, you can choose to file the married file jointly. Just note that you and your spouse are responsible for the tax bill and any future audits.

More IRS FAQ links:

Michigan Tax FAQ Links:

Michigan Business Tax FAQs

City of Detroit Tax FAQs

Copyright 2022 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All Rights Reserved.

Comments are closed.