Senior Backend Software Engineer — Self-Financial
Self Financial, Inc. is a venture capital-backed financial services startup based in Austin, Texas. At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey to financial security.
There are approximately 100 million people in the United States who have low credit scores or no access to credit at all. Unfortunately, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks do nothing concrete to change the situation, because it is not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or a house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’ll most likely pay a lot more interest over the life of that loan.
If you are someone who is as passionate as us, we want to chat with you.
About our team:
We are a growing team of passionate engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and save. We have rebuilt and launched our website and mobile app over the past year, which now serve thousands of customers. We launched our second product, a secure credit card to allow our customers to access their savings.
About the role:
You will join a team that is developing core banking. You will develop the services and infrastructure needed to deliver mission-critical solutions for large-scale customers. You will work with your Manager, Product Owner and Product Manager to create the tools and systems necessary for us to serve our financial products to our broad customer base. You will report to an Engineering Manager and work with our incredible team of professional engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technical discipline.
- 4+ years of software engineering experience.
- Solid understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Experience developing Python/Flask code in a production environment.
- Experience with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience in container space such as Docker.
- Experience with AWS and other related cloud architectures/services is a plus.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, confluence and similar platforms.
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But, there’s one thing Self Financial can offer that many startups can’t: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the United States have no credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self solves this problem with creative technology solutions and partnerships.
Our benefits include:
- stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, optical and dental insurance coverage
- Take advantage of our holiday policy – there is no policy, balance counts
- Education aid
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided
- Casual dress code
- Happy hours and team events
- Office space in downtown Austin
The way we act with each other is the way we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you will take this approach.
Self Financial requires all hired employees to pass a background check.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Due to COVID-19 we are working from home until further notice (stay safe!).
Read the full job description